TerryHawkins;593089 Wrote:

> After reading through this thread I see that the caching of cover art
> has recently changed. All of my artwork is around 750x750 at approx
> 100-200kb. I am running SB Server on a QNAP TS-109.
>
> How fast will the artwork display in iPeng when browsing the list of
> albums, will it be instant?

Caching itself hasn't changed, what has changed is that iPEng no longer
reads a lot of artwork ahead.
When you browse your albums the first time the artwork display will not
be instant, the server first has to re-scale the artwork and transmit it
to iPeng.
Later on it will usually be very quick, if you don't scroll fast it
should be there instantaneously. If you scroll fast it can show up
delayed but this is usually pretty quick.
Definitely faster than the Apple Remote or the web interface.

> Also, if the cover art is bigger, will it look better on the screen or
> is 750x750 plenty big enough?
iPeng uses up to 960x960 on the iPod 4/iPhone 4 but generally 750x750
should be fine, the "typical" resolution (if you don't select to use
oversized artwork in landscape) will be 640x640.

750x750 is fine, if you consider getting an iPad and want to be perfect
you'd use 768x768 :)

That said: if you can _get_ bigger artwork it may be worth while, who
knows what the future will bring...

--
pippin

---
see iPeng, the Squeezebox iPhone remote and
*New: iPeng for iPad*, at penguinlovesmusic.com