I wonder whether this could be related to the battery issues by changing
the multitasking behavior. Because I only see those under rare
circumstances (I _do_ see them sometimes, too).

What I've nailed down so far is the following scenario:
iPeng shuts down all it's connections when going to the background (or
whenever the screen saver is activated).
It looks like in this particular case for some reason one of iPeng's
timeout timers does fire after the App got suspended. iPEng doesn't
check for this since it's not supposed to fire when the App is in the
background. I believe this is a bug in iOS 4.2.1 or at least an
undocumented change. Maybe it's indeed related to the push notification
(or other notification services).

I've seen reports that similar things happen to other Apps, too.

Now what iPeng does wrongly and what I'm going to change in the next
release is if that timer fires and it finds the server connection down
it will re-build it without checking whether iPeng is supposed to be
sleeping (after all, it wasn't supposed to get the event when
sleeping). This need not be a problem in itself but with a lot of stuff
going on on your server (e.g. because you have a lot of Squeezeboxes)
there could be quite a bit of communication.
But the worst thing is it keeps WiFi open and _this_ definitely can
drain the battery.

I'm just a bit suspicious about the general behavior of having timers
still fire....

--
pippin

---
see iPeng, the Squeezebox iPhone remote and
*New: iPeng for iPad*, at penguinlovesmusic.com