>In the case of Ap15e he has 262 artist entries in his artist database
>so  Whitebear thinks it must pass on 262 items to the Android UPnP
>control point. But since Various Artists is a duplicate, the second
>copy gets eliminated

What is eliminating the duplicate artist name?  I assume Whitebear is doing
this - i.e. you fetch artist names from SBS using a CLI command, and then
removing duplicates from the results:

If you are using a CLI command such as:
        artists 0 10000

>It is a mystery to me why the Squeezebox Server CLI makes a duplicate
>of Various Artists.

The CLI documentation states:
        All Squeezebox Server preferences apply to the CLI data. For examples,
the preference about composers appearing in the artists list applies to the
data returned by the "artists" query.

You will get "Various Artists" appearing twice, as the CLI command returns what
any player UI will see; normal artists and optionally other types of
contributors, such as conductors, composers and band/orchestras.  When browsing
in any SBS user interface, "Various Artists" is put at the top of the artist
list, plus it appears in it's normal position (sorted under artists beginning
with "V"), so you get the same result in the CLI response.

If you issue a CLI command to search for Various Artists, it only appears once
in the results:
        artists 0 10000 search:Various%20Artists

I think searching for artists matching empty string, will return all artists,
but without the initial "Various Artists" entry.  i.e.
        artists 0 10000 search:

>=> This is clearly a bug in Squeezebox Server.
I'm not sure it's clearly a bug.  I think it's doing what it is supposed to do,
according to an interpretation of the CLI documentation.

That's not to say that I think it's particularly intelligent - putting "Various
Artists" at the top of the list is really a UI presentation thing; and as
suggested elsewhere, putting the list of compilation albums within the list of
artists isn't nice UI design.  I think there should be a Browse Compilations
view for this, which would simplify a lot of UI's that need to do this
interpretation.

Phil