'Just' tried it on my server (a G4 PPC laptop with Debian). It took 7
hours for 20k files. The files are tagged by Musicbrainz, so they
contain lots of data.
The Social Music Discovery entry in Extras only brings me to Sun's
website (what a beautiful irony), because Sun doesn't make java
packages for ppc (and thus I have to use openjdk). So, as others have
pointed out already in the thread, openjdk doesn't really work well -
the CPU goes up to 99%, the fan was turning all day, browsing the menus
takes several seconds and eventually finishes with 'Timed out waiting
for data'.
A simple restart of the server takes about 12 minutes for me.

Which is already where I will stop testing because my server will
restart tonight and I need to sleep :-) (fan turning on at 5 o'clock in
the morning - not fun)

However I do recall that you could compile java as
architecture-specific files. Is that still the case? Would that be
possible with this project or do you use any closed-source sun
libraries?

--
bkruggel