Triode;658618 Wrote:
> I suspect this difference is believable for a primarily non flac
> library.  It will be dependant on the io performance of the server
> hardware.  In normal SBS scanning and SMD operating on flac files, the
> scan process only requires the portion of each file containing the tags
> to be read from disk.  Often if you rerun the scan it is significantly
> faster as the sectors required are all cached by the os even for quite
> a large library.  However as SMD wants a hash of the audio portion of
> the file, for non flac files it has to read all the audio data and this
> is essentially io bound and will be much slower.  Flac computes a crc at
> creation time and hence we have it for free.
>
> I don't see any easy way round this, but it does mean that if the
> library is primarily flac then the scan performance will be
> significantly better.  (and you can get away with a lower performance
> server)

It definitely needs to be calculated once, what we can do is to cache
it so we don't have to calculate it the next time as long as the file
name is exactly the same as before. Caching can be done either in
database or in tags (written by puddletag or something similar).

However, I don't think we should worry too much about this yet, I still
believe that most SMD users will run a full rescan once and then
maintain the data in the SMD database and then it doesn't matter much
if a full rescan takes a bit of time. It's more important that we can
make incremental rescan quick because that's going to be used every
time you add new music files to your library.

--
erland

(Developer of 'many plugins/applets'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/User:Erland). If my answer
helped you and you like to encourage future presence on this forum
and/or third party plugin/applet development, 'donations are always
appreciated' (http://erland.isaksson.info/donate))
Interested in music discovery ? See 'Social Music Discovery (SMD)'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=656713) project.