pippin;658605 Wrote:
> It's my test library on the Mac. I don't think there are a lot of
> special tags but it's almost exclusively mp3 and AAC (at least 90%
> mp3), only one or two FLAC albums.
>
> Some SXSW stuff so a LOT of artists compared to the number of tracks (a
> few 1.000 artists).

I suspect this difference is believable for a primarily non flac
library.  It will be dependant on the io performance of the server
hardware.  In normal SBS scanning and SMD operating on flac files, the
scan process only requires the portion of each file containing the tags
to be read from disk.  Often if you rerun the scan it is significantly
faster as the sectors required are all cached by the os even for quite
a large library.  However as SMD wants a hash of the audio portion of
the file, for non flac files it has to read all the audio data and this
is essentially io bound and will be much slower.  Flac computes a crc at
creation time and hence we have it for free.

I don't see any easy way round this, but it does mean that if the
library is primarily flac then the scan performance will be
significantly better.  (and you can get away with a lower performance
server)

--
Triode