Thanks for your very comprehensive reply.

WORKARTIST is a tag I have added in my files.

I thought the 'alpha' meneulink did what you said.  However, the
Worksbycomposer menu does not support the single letter selection,
whereas Worksbyworkartist does.  I have no idea why.

Looking at the the two xmls I couldn't see a significant difference
(not that odd since the worksartist one was derived from the composer
one).

Once I have resolved this conundrum I'll fix others as you suggest.

With these two menus, the WORKARTIST and COMPOSER are the top level.

I have around 400 composers and 750 workartists, 18K tracks (so far) of
which 15K are classical.

On the Touch, the WORKARTIST menu shows big letters when using the
slidebar, the COMPOSER one does not.

On the web interface they both show A-Z lists at the top (if that is
what you meant  by 'page bar')
.

I understand the context problem.  I'll just have to use the web
interface (provided my laptop is working and available).

Both these and other similar menus still also cause several minutes
delay when no music can be played when they are first used after
startup.  I therefore have no use each one manually when I start up so
that I don't get a delay later in the day when listening to something.
I have 'Yes' in all the custom scan options for refreshes.

--
PasTim

Server on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, 2 CPU, 2GHz, 4GB, FLAC files. Touch
on Ethernet (in another room).  Analogue out over 'a bit of wire' to
ageing Quad Hi-Fi. An old (wireless) laptop controls the server using
Chrome.