epoch1970;698178 Wrote:

> :D Then can you tell me the purpose of the popup ?

Acknowledging that the track got added so that people don't tap on the
same track three times just to be sure :D

Also, it will appear, too, whenever somebody else adds a track.

> why not leave iPeng add one song at a time to an almost empty server
> queue, while at the same time it handles the add/delete/promote/demote
> requests of an internal queue accessed by the Party apps.

The problem is not so much to keep track of actions but to understand
which action lead to what track in the playlist.
The IDs sometimes change, sometimes you don't get them at all and in a
lot of cases also the description can change.
I mentioned Spotify because it's the only case I'm aware of where you
have a consistently unique identifier.

If you add a track from Rhapsody or even from the local library it
might show up in the playlist 20s later under a different name and a
different identifier set. So how do I know it's the track I added...

> Is that clear ? 1 short SBS queue, 1 long iPeng queue. The top of the
> iPeng one feeds to the bottom of the SBS one. Party shows both as a
> single playlist. It might not be simple, but I guess you'd be free of
> SBS constraints.

I can't run SBS entirely driven by iPeng, this would require a server
side plugin. Anything else is very unreliable and also would consume
too much power. You sit down on the sofa with the iPeng iPhone in your
backpocket - dang, your music is off. I know what I talk about, I
recently ran the music on an event - unplanned and unprepared - using
iPeng as a player, my server at home as the music source and an AirPlay
device as a player and while this generally worked fine for several
hours, it eventually stopped when I sat down on a sofa for a while....
OK, an extreme case but it's not what you want here.

Remote config is much simpler. It's a single message that needs to be
sent only once, it uses a handshake and if it doesn't work you can
still ask the host to stand up for a second :)

> Let's say I come to someone's home. Or even to a public place like a
> bar, and they have SBS+iPeng.
> What on earth do I care knowing which part of the library was recently
> added ? I just need to see the available music now. (BTW, maybe even
> not see "albums", but "songs".)

Good point. Brings me to that other option I originally planned: menu
exclusion in the remote configuration. A bit harder than the current
solution, though...

> And if I choose to add music, I could be interested in picking from
> *my* favs. But obviously I can't carry them with me. I have nothing to
> do with the host's favs/playlists.

Well, OK, but let's rethink this:
When I'm at a bar, it might be interesting to see what new stuff they
just got and - the playlists and favs being the only places you can
easily manage - that could be the place where they place the most
popular items.

> For me, in Extras I have … ServerPowerControl. Not good, mate ;)

Does it show up? Not good, I thought I blocked that (I do already block
a lot). Could you add a ticket for that, too?

--
pippin

---
see iPeng, the Squeezebox iPhone remote, iPeng for iPad and
*New: iPeng Party, the free party App*, at penguinlovesmusic.com