Erland - aren't you supposed to know everything?!

I think I've solved the problem by editing a cookie.
There are 2 cookies named "Squeezebox-albumView"
One of them has the path as simply "/".  I presume this is the default
one.
The other one has the path "/plugins/CustomBrowse/".  I presume this one
is specific to CB.
There was no "Content" in the CB one so I edited it to match the default
one with a content value of "1".
The web UI then displyed the desired "Large Artwork" view.

Interestingly there is also a third cookie named
"SqueezeCentre-albumView".
I don't know enough about how and when cookies are created to guess why
the CB cookie had no content or even why there are three very similarly
named cookies, so that's probably then limit of my help for now.