DubMarc wrote:
> The Synology model is DS212.

Hm. I just took a VERY brief look and didn't find any detail but at
first glance that device really sounds like it should be powerful enough
for transcoding.
Maybe lame really has a bad implementation for it or doesn't use the
processor well. Which could easily be since lame is really made to
support a lot of different platforms and to give decent quality in the
first place, not for performance.

> One question from an earlier post. Your suggestion of player syncing I
> think will do the trick, and to be honest it didn't even occur to me
> because I'm still not used to the concept of multiple players to even
> keep in sync. But you also mentioned a Switch Playlist plugin. I
> couldn't find it on the slimdevices wiki or erland's wiki. Do you know
> if it's perhaps called by another name?

The plugin is called "SwitchPlayer" and it should be among the default
plugins as long as you enable "Show all plugins by 3rd party providers"
at the bottom of the plugin settings page.