DubMarc wrote:
> so I don't think that this is a server issue (Synology NAS).

But it is....
The problem is, that the Synology will probably not be powerful enough
to do mp3 encoding in time so you get stuttering simply because part of
the data is missing. Caching doesn't help if the server isn't up to it.
iPeng does already now stretch caching of _streams_ pretty much to what
makes sense with the Squeezebox protocol. That other thing was about a
completely local playback with playlist syncing/caching.
You could turn off the bitrate limiting altogether over 3g (note that
you HAVE to use iPeng's setting, the one in the server's web interface
will not work) but that's obviously only good for mp3 since with FLAC
the bandwidth requirement is too high.

That's also why you don't have any issues in that foreign WiFi network,
there the bitrate limit if off by default.

You could try to replace "lame" with shine on the Synology, that's
supposed to have enough performance:
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Shine_for_transcoding

> To my surprise, the iPhone player entry was not available. I turned off
> wifi on my iPhone 4, and the iPhone again showed up as a player. I'm
> confused if this is intended, although away from home, I would mainly be
> in listen mode without access to a wireless network anyway, so probably
> not too big of a deal.

That works. Does the WiFi network maybe block port 3483 or 9000(1)?

> 2. I expected that my place in the song (and playlist) would be
> unaffected by changing players, but they appear to be independent. I
> kind of think of the music stream as part of the metadata. If listening
> to a song on the Touch just before I get in the car, I'd ideally like to
> pick up that song at the same point in the car using my iPhone as the
> player, with a minimum of hassle.

It's an independent player so it also behaves like one.
To get what you want, you could use the "Switch Player" plugin which
will then show up in the player settings. It allows you to move a
playing stream to another player while it's playing.
Another option would be to simply sync the players and then turn off the
Touch and turn on the iPhone.

> I haven't tested this out, but am I correct in assuming that at least
> the playcount would get updated for the song no matter where you played
> it?

Yes. iPeng just behaves like another Squeezebox.

> I'm still getting acquainted with the base iPeng app, but I already like
> it loads better than the stock one. Thanks!
I like to hear that :)