Owen Smith wrote:
> You also need a clear and scan if anything is deleted, renamed or moved
> in the directory tree.

No, only if that anything is artwork, not for music

> I don't see what is wrong with daily rescans. If I just do the scans on
> demand, all that happens is iPeng can't play when I've done a manual
> scan. Not much different.
>
> Also I have a SqueezeBox Controller. I don't have any of these problems
> with that. How does it manage?

I don't know. The problem hasn't occurred to anybody else, yet, so I
never looked into whether it's possible to distinguish a "Clear &
Rescan" from the incremental scan while browsing.
Did you try the "non-native" menu? That should behave exactly the same
as the controller.
What does the Controller do, btw, when you do the Clear&Rescan? Does it
back out to the main menu?