Triode wrote:
> Well it sounds like an issue streaming to remote machines from the
> server using the tcp socket which the plugin uses.  Its possible that
> there's some firewall in the latest version of ubuntu which causes this?
> Afraid its not something I can easily look at as it works for local
> players which means the plugin itself is working - it seems there's a
> problem with getting data out to remote machines.

Again, I am very sorry for all the hassle. I investigated further, and
while I have a partial solution, I am even more confused.

First of all, there is no firewall active on my system. I also
researched other network related avenues (NIC driver, tcp/ip kernel
settings) to no avail. I also did some simple performance measurements
by copying large files over the network. The throughput is constantly
way above what is needed for the stream.

One of my network players is an old notebook on which I run
squeezeplayer. For the tests I conducted with a player on the same
machine as the server I used squeezelite (which I only found out about
this last few days - another wonderful piece of software, thanks a
lot!).

Running out of options, I installed squeezelite on the notebook hoping
it would have additional log messages. To my surprise, streaming to
squeezelite works flawlessly, though! No problems whatsoever.

This is great, as it improves the situation a lot (having some nice
other benefits as well), but only for one player. The problem persists
with my Squeezebox Radio.

I feel no step closer to finding the actual issue. It could of course be
a bug in the original squeezeplayer/-os code, but then surely other
people would experience this as well.

I am running out of ideas. Do you have any more? I really appreciate all
the help.