cobbr2 wrote:
> I have a vortexbox from the first generation (yum upgraded over time to
> vortexbox 1.10), and wanted a way to feed audio straight in the pink
> jack in the front for live playing. All I really needed to do was
> install the plugin and make sure squeezeboxserver (LMS) had permission
> to use the audio subsystem; then I played with alsamixer to improve the
> quality.
>
> The steps I used:
>
> >   >
  -  Install the plugin using the Squeezebox server settings page (I'm
  > on Logitech Media Server Version: 7.7.0 - r33626 @ Sun Dec 4
  > 16:28:24 EST 2011)
  -  Log into the vortexbox using ssh
  -  sudo bash (use the Vortexbox how-tos to figure out how to do
  > this)
  -  edit (I use vi, but you may want to use nano) /etc/group
  -  find the line with "audio" on it, and add ",squeezeboxserver" to
  > the list of folks in the group. If there aren't any, don't use the
  > comma
  -  So you can do your own hacking around on this later, put your own
  > name on that list (comma first)
  -  From the vortexbox control panel, stop squeezebox server
  -  *Verify that it actually stopped* by using "ps -ef | grep
  > squeezeboxserver |grep -v grep" in your command line. Mine didn't
  > (the command showed something; if the process is dead, that command
  > won't show anything).
  -  Really kill it and restart it. Either use the Unix "kill" command
  > on the process you were just told about, then start it again from
  > the Vortexbox GUI, or reboot your vortexbox using the system menu
  -  At this point, when I entered wavin:default on the Tune-in URL, I
  > got sound. You might not get so lucky. THe right utility for me was
  > "alsamixer", which with some playing around got me going. I needed:
  >   >     >     >
    -  On the -capture- controls (I just use alsamixer --all so I can
    > see all the controls and don't run into problems with my Macintosh
    > not forwarding function keys), I needed the front mic set at about
    > 2/3rds, and the 'digital' at about a 40.
    -  On all the -playbacks-, I turned everything off. For line-level
    > inputs, I definitely neeeded to turn off any front mic boost.
    >   >   >
  -  Sound's still not great, but adequate for my purposes; I'm
  > testing with a fairly crappy source. Lag's a few seconds.

Hello - I'm trying to get Waveinput working on Ubuntu 12.04:
1. Following cobbr2's helpful instructions (adding Squeezeboxserver to
the Audio group, etc) I can get hissing audio out using a wavin:default
url in LMS 7.7.2.  Check!
2. I've got Audacity to record test sounds from the Alsa Host using both
'pulse' and 'default' inputs/outputs, so it looks like it should be
working. Check!
3. When playing around with Alsamixer or PulseAudio volume control the
amount of speaker hiss goes up and down depending on Mic Boost settings
etc, so I know the output is going to the squeezebox.  Check!
4. ...but I can't get the computer headphone audio to be picked up.  The
audio just doesn't come through.  Fail :(

Note: Playing around with Alsamixer settings  (Master, PCM, Mic, Mic
Boost / Capture and Digital) seems to work as expected when feeding
headphone analogue output directly into an amp (obviously the capture
and digital controls not doing anything).  I've tried varying all the
playback and capture settings in Alsamixer, but without any luck.

Am I doing anything obviously wrong?