If the cataloging and display of local artist images ends up working
well, is there a chance that it could be incorporated into the base
server, rather than a plugin? IMO, the ideal would be to make it a part
of the standard library scanning.

I like the idea of using a single folder for all contributor images, but
not if it means that album artwork would also be searched for in that
folder. It might require a new artwork folder pref.

The scanner would also need to search for images for albumartist,
composer (if they appear in the artist list - I don't remember) and any
other tags from which contributors are compiled in the database.

You'll need to create and publish some standard rules for character
substitutions of illegal characters in names so that a filename can be
derived from all names. For instance, if I have the artist

Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown

then the corresponding image filename would have to be something like

Clarence Gatemouth Brown.jpg
or