I just tried to set this up on my Windows Home Server yesterday and ran
into I think the same problem.  The issue for me was that there is no
sound card in my server (it's an HP MediaSmart).  There were two things
I needed to do to fix it.  One was to not log in with remote desktop,
since that sets it to use a special RDP virtual soundcard.  Instead I
installed TightVNC and logged in with that.  Then, I installed VB-Audio
Virtual Cable, which is a free audio redirector.  In the Windows sound
properties I set the playback and record devices to VB-Audio Point.
Basically that just makes it so any sounds that are played are
redirected to the recording device, which is what WaveInput samples.
After that it started working.

Unfortunately, I'm getting a pretty frequent lockup.  It looks like an
assert, is your released version of shairport4Win compiled in debug
Schurtz?  Here's the message:

Debug Assertion Failed!
Program: C:\Program Files\shairport4W\Shairport4w.exe
File:
C:\users\admin\desktop\shairport4w-code-73\shairport4w-code-73\hairtunes.cpp
Line: 784

Expression: 0

I didn't try to download the stock Shairport code to see if that's a
stock assert or if it's in your changes.  Any ideas?