CommanderROR wrote:
> Well, they both use 320kbit, but a different codec. Spotify streams ogg,
> Google does mp3.
> There codecs have different characteristics, and I guess that's what I
> hearing. It depends on the type of music you listen to. I think I once
> read, that one favours bass and the other favours treble, but I can't
> remember which was which. The effect gets more pronounced with a larger
> number of instruments, the bigger the Orchestra, the more Spotify wins
> against Google. Play Music might actually sound better for some types of
> music I guess...

Ah - that does ring a bell. At that bitrate I can't hear a difference -
I do definitely hear losses in the treble region on anything below ~192
CBR or so - classical music is historically very sensitive to
compression. I just don't think lossy algorithms are good enough for
high fidelity listening for this kind of music...