Thanks, errand.  By examining the server log after turning on debugging
I was able to figure out what happened.

I had “Minimum song length to count” set to 60 seconds.  Apparently, if
Trackstat doesn’t count the track as listened, it wouldn’t assign a
rating.  I reset that field to 1 second, and the next time I hit
skipped, it assigned a rating of 50 (3 stars).  Normally, if the track
plays all the way through, it had assigned a value of 60, so I guess it
was adjusting for my decrease percentage.

In order to get the behavior I want (assign a 2-star rating if I skip
before the half-way point), I lowered the initial rating to 50.

I'll play with these values some more to fine tune the behavior I want,
but I'm happy I finally figured this out.  I do recall a number of years
ago fiddling with these values.  I'm sure somewhere down the line I
uninstalled and reinstalled and lost my settings, and just never
bothered to check them until now.

2-SB3s, 1-Duet, 1-Touch...and an iPeng convert.