M7CC wrote:
> Oh, I guess I didn't realize the pre7 version was locked (if I
> understand you correctly).  Sounds like Apple...

Well, more or less: yes. I had hoped to be able to support it for
longer.
The problem is that iPeng (Classic) had been a pretty old App by last
year, after all, it started out for iOS 2. Even with some modernization
we've always tried to support as many old devices as possible, iPeng
2.0.16 (the second-last version) still supported devices with iOS 4.3.3
and ARM6 processors.

With that code base and all the changes iOS 7 brought to the UI it was
necessary to do bigger internal changes to bring iPeng to iOS 7 level
and since getting that backwards-compatible with pre-iOS 7 OS versions
is a lot of additional work I decided that iPeng 7 would only run on iOS
7 and newer.

Since the differences between pre-iOS 7 SDK and UI and iOS 7 are so big
I had hoped that Apple would not make use of the iOS 7 SDK mandatory
very soon (and actually there were indications from Apples side back in
September last year that they would allow builds based on old SDKs for
at least a year) but actually they didn't and since February all new
builds have to use the iOS 7 SDK. The old iPeng code base doesn't work
on that so no chance for further updates :(

> It may be buried in this thread but I'm not exactly sure what all the
> differences are between iPeng7 and the pre-7 version.

No, it's in the iPeng 7 announcement thread :)
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?100515-Announce-iPeng-7-the-iOS-7-Squeezebox-App-for-iPhone-and-iPad

The changes on iPhone/iPod are not as big as on iPad, primarily an iOS
7-like UI, dark color scheme and configurable main menu. Well, and a
much bigger number of small details.
But going forward, all changes obviously only get into iPeng 7.

I'm not 100% sure how I will proceed on that landscape thing. Adding the
"repeat" and "shuffle" menus back is an obvious choice but apart from
that I'm not so sure what makes sense on the NowPlaying screen. I did a
fully functional screen (without playlist) for another App but I'm so
sure that as soon as I add more functionality in iPeng people will just
going on asking for what's still missing and then we end up with
something very, very crammed with buttons....

---
learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox
and
Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
at penguinlovesmusic.com
*New: iPeng 7, the Universal App for iOS 7*