It's really difficult.

First: no chance for your 3rd gen iPod at all. iPeng "Classic" doesn't
work with the iOS 7 SDK so Apple doesn't let me update it anymore and
iPeng 7 only works from iOS 7 on so it doesn't run on the 3rd gen iPod.

Second: Doing more on the NowPlaying screen in landscape mode is
difficult. Where do you start and where do you stop.
I've done something like that for another App but it really gives you
something completely different on the NowPlaying screen. If you want all
features of the "portrait" NowPlaying screen you end up with a screen
completely crammed with buttons and not much space for a cover. It's
ugly, and it still doesn't give you the current playlist or a player
selection. It's really hard to build something really useful with that
landscape mode screen as long as we tend to write in horizontal
direction (hey, this might be an option for Japanese or Chinese...).

So for now I decided to only show a screen saver because that's what
looks OK. The one thing I might indeed want to change (although, as
mentioned above, only for iPeng 7) is to add back the original "Repeat"
and "Shuffle" menus - probably in the player settings screen - to at
least give users that functionality, but somehow nobody ever asked for
that until today....

---
learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox
and
Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
at penguinlovesmusic.com
*New: iPeng 7, the Universal App for iOS 7*