Ran some tests with SB Player on the Android 5.0 Developer preview build
on a Nexus 7 to try out some of the new audio features.

_Higher_Sampling_rates_
The existing version of SB Player will already pick these up and you can
set it in Preferences > Performance. It works fine for all sampling
rates with tracks that uses the same sampling rate, but the Nexus 7
definitely cannot handle up-sampling 44.1k to 96k.

_24bit_Audio_
Turns out 5.0 doesn't specifically support 24bit audio, instead it
supports 32bit floating point audio which was the same dynamic range.
Fortunately it's trivial to convert lower bit depths to it. It works
fine but synchronized playback is a little off. It could be that I just
need to do some tweaking or the audio of the preview build of Android
isn't quite optimized yet. Also it's kind of pointless to use it right
now (see below).

_USB_DAC_support_
Works as advertise. I plugged a USB OTG cable into the Nexus7 and
plugged a USB DAC into the cable and the audio automatically routes to
the DAC. When I unplugged it, the audio paused like when you unplug
headphones.  However, audio output seems to be locked at 16/44.1 right
now which makes supporting 24/96 audio kind of pointless.

Does anyone know if the FireTV can output 24/96 to it's spdif
connection?