I have got the now playing app on my Galaxy Tab but as it stands it
isn't available for the Fire TV yet and I am not sure how the artwork
would render on an HDTV. In full screen mode it would not be very good I
imagine so if either developer is reading a Fire TV now playing
implementation in a smallish window would be great. Better still if it
could overlay onto whatever else the Fire TV is outputting and if you
could select the audio output to optical only so another app could play
audio via HDMI then that would be ideal for my use case. SWMBO watching
TV and me listening via headphones. I can't see the point of
incorporating a controller when iPeng and OrangeSqueeze etc are so
readily available.
The Fire TV has arrived but no chance to hook it up as yet.

QNAP TS419P 4TB LMS7.7.2
*Living Room* - SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 connected Digitally - > Celestion
Ditton F20s - and connected Analogue for Zone 2 -> Sony TA FE 320 ->
Sennheiser HDR 130
*Office* - SB3 -> Sony TA FE320 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
*Dining Room* -> SB Boom
*Kitchen* -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
*Bedroom* - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes