Thanks flysurfer - that worked OK. After restart the video on the GUI
start page played no problem from my odroid, with audio.
In order to get complete "media centre" functionality from the odroid
and Max2Play (something I never dreamed would be possible when I
purchased it, I just wanted an LMS server) then good smooth reliable
playback in Chrome or Firefox would be necessary. To access BBC iPlayer
it is necessary to go via a browser. I can now play video but playback
is choppy and there is no sound. Unfortunately there is no XBMC add-on
for iPlayer (yet... perhaps one is coming?) I tried a programme from NRK
(Norway) again no sound and choppy video. The same programme via XBMC,
which does have a NRK add-on, was much better quality, and audio - very
good indeed.

So XBMC is clearly the best player. Would it be possible to have a
Firefox or Chrome add-on which added files to the XBMC playlist, that
would be a great solution.