After a lot of sweat and frustration (caused by my total ignorance of
such things ...) I finally got my 'office' system up and running.

Odroid/max2play/LMS
Pi B+ / Hifiberry B+ DAC / picoreplayer
Ancient headphone amp

It works perfectly now my FLAC library is housed on a powered USB 2 hard
drive. However, my first attempts to get it up and running with a
bus-powered USB 3 drive wasn't a success. I could scan the files OK, and
they appeared to show up fine in the LMS library, but when I tried to
play them I got numerous error messages (sorry, I forgot to note them
down), and they wouldn't play. The same FLAC library on a powered USB 2
drive solved all the problems.

Was it just my bad luck, or is there a known issue with
Odroid/max2play/LMS and bus-powered USB 3 drives?