I too have been suffering from occasional buffering issues that are
related to DNS.  My ISP in the UK (Sky) hard codes their DNS server
addresses into their routers (which you also have to use). I am running
LMS on an Ubuntu box, with a 30 second buffer specified in LMS.  If I
let this box use my router (and hence Sky's DNS servers) an HLS Radio 4
stream using the iplayer plugin takes 20 seconds to buffer, plays for 10
seconds then buffers again.  If I point the Ubuntu box to Google's DNS
servers buffering is much faster, although I still get occasional drop
outs during playback and sometimes the streams stop playing until
restarted. I have now installed dnsmasq to cache addresses locally,
which seems to have resulted in a further reduction in drop outs.  I am
in the process of testing different DNS servers  to see which give the
best results.