Owen Smith wrote:
> I bought a Raspberry Pi, found an article online that explains how to
> run it as a DNS cache using dnsmasq, and I did exactly what it said. I
> can't advise on other systems. The only thing I had to work out myself
> was how to change my router's DHCP response to give the IP address of my
> Pi as the DNS server rather than the ISPs. On my old router this was
> hard and involed telnet in on the command line. On my new router it is
> trivial, one field in the web UI. Plus of course disabling the Windows
> DNS service, but I did that years earlier.
>
> A Pi is very cheap and even the most basic model is capable of running
> dnsmasq. You don't need a keyboard or mouse or monitor once it is set
> up, I don't touch mine for months on end. Dnsmasq consumes very little
> resources.
Thanks.  I'm still reluctant to host more boxes, and I don't need DHCP.
However, I have, just this minute, managed to re-install dnsmasq on my
music server, add "server=8.8.8.8" (etc) statements to /etc/dnsmasq.conf
and check /etc/resolv/conf points to 127.0.0.1 (ie loopback).

This seems to work.  It's rather confusing because there seem to be
several network managers around, one showing itself as 'Network
Connections', and one as 'Networking'.  All seems to be running OK thus
far.

LMS 7.9 on VortexBox Midi, Xubuntu 14.04, FLACs 16->24 bit,
44.1->192kbps. LMS plugin UPnP/DLNA Bridge to MF M1 CLiC (to MF amp &
ESLs) & Marantz CR603 UPnP renderers.  Minimserver (server) & upplay
(control point) to same & to upmpdcli/mpd PC renderers.  Squeezelite to
Meridian USB Explorer DAC to speakers/phones.  Wireless Xubuntu 15.04
laptop with firefox/upplay or Android 'phone with
Squeeze-Commander/BubbleUPnP controls LMS/Minimserver.   Have a Touch
with EDO, plus spare, but unused.