PasTim wrote:
> Thanks.  I'm still reluctant to host more boxes, and I don't need DHCP.
> However, I have, just this minute, managed to re-install dnsmasq on my
> music server, add "server=8.8.8.8" (etc) statements to /etc/dnsmasq.conf
> and check /etc/resolv/conf points to 127.0.0.1 (ie loopback).
>
> This seems to work.  It's rather confusing because there seem to be
> several network managers around, one showing itself as 'Network
> Connections', and one as 'Networking'.  All seems to be running OK thus
> far.

In my case the Pi is my only Unix box, so I don't have anything else I
can run dnsmasq on. I can understand you not wanting to gain yet another
system to adminster.

I even avoided needing another power supply, I power the Pi from the USB
socket on my Apple Airport Extreme whicn creates my wireless network.