Foggy wrote:
> Hi Greg,
> The sound quality when using the Pi is audibly inferior to a standard
> Squeezebox, even through cheap PC speakers and that is when only running
> the Squeezeslave software (I think also I tried Squeezelite some time
> ago). I did a little searching at the time and I believe it is
> considerably improved when using the specific USB audio cards, but this
> was a while back, so I suggest you do a bit of digging. When running
> 'motion' this resulted in a background click every second and additional
> white noise and the playback speed seemed marginally slower than it
> should have been.
> When I first started considering running the Pi as a Squeezebox I soon
> discounted the idea once I realised I needed to invest more money for
> basic sound quality, I simply bought another SB3 on ebay for very
> little.
> I also tried running the Pi as a Squeezeserver and it was painfully
> slow, unfortunately.
>
> I hope that helps,
> Cheers,
> Foggy

Hi Foggy,

Thanks for your feedback. I somehow missed you were using a camera for
motion detection. I was interested if those simple motion detectors
caused any issues to the sound on the Raspberry Pi.

I think you will find using a cheap i2s DAC will give you similar
performance to "real" Squeezeboxes. I find "Audio out" OK for testing
purposes, and a USB to headphone DAC ($5) gives better results. It might
be a volume thing though. On the newer Raspberry Pi's there was white
noise issue that was resolved in software. I am using the first
generation Raspberry Pi successfully as a Squeezerserver, with 3
provisos, don't use the web interface, don't rescan everyday and don't
resample. Besides that, I have found it streams perfectly - for over a
year.

Stick a camera on it, I have never tried that!

regards
Greg