so I originally installed IO::Socket::SSL using the ReadyNAS package
(apt-get install libio-socket-ssl-perl)  which put version 1.01 of the
library in

Code:
    perl -MIO::Socket::SSL -le 'print $IO::Socket::SSL::VERSION'

on uninstalling that (apt-get remove libio-socket-ssl-perl) and loading
it from cpan instead (cpan install IO::Socket::SSL) I get v2.020 which
now works.

Many thanks - the YouTube plugin now works for me.....