Something I did to find the "right" value of player audio delay: I
created an AIFF file with alternating 2secs L/R tones, for a total
length of 60 secs.
I set an SB3 to play only the right channel, [I wanted to do the
opposite with the software player but I always got both channels output]
I half-unplugged the audio cord on my Airport Express to output the left
channel only.
Then I synced the group, played the file in loop and fiddled with the
audio delay slider on the software player.
Until you reach the right value to your setup and ears, you'll hear a
silence gap and/or both sources at the same time.
To my surprise, the right value for this device was around 400ms (nearly
50ms higher than I thought)
I don't know what you think of the idea but if felt I needed some help
in assessing the right audio delay.

4 SB 3 • Libratone Loop mk.2 • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • Squeezebox Server
7.9 (linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC iPlayer by
bpa • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Server Power Control by Gordon
Harris • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael
Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by
Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin
Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.