Hi all,

I'm considering writing a plugin to allow 'extra' tags to be read from a
text file in the same directory as a music file. I want to do this to
add the ability to easily filter my music for each user in our
household, but don't want to modify the tags in the music files
themselves, as these are automatically updated based on data from
MusicBrainz.

Can anyone give me some pointers as to where to start to write a plugin
to achieve the following:

- For each track that is found, call a function in the plugin
- Retrieve the directory where that track is stored
- Read a file in this directory (if it exists) and cache its contents
- Add any tags in this file to the database for the track concerned

I've found some very sparse documentation in the Wiki, but this doesn't
really seem to be detailed enough for someone with no existing knowledge
of the plugin system. I'm a software developer by trade, with a basic
working knowledge of Perl (although it's be a good few years since I
wrote anything of any size using it).

Thanks in advance

Andy