Ok, I'll start out just trying to get it working, and then look at
optimising it if it seems necessary.

Do you think there'd be any interest in this in the wider community? I
guess I could then look at adding some sort of configuration pages to
allow the creation of libraries. Thinking that maybe just dropping a
file called something like 'virtual-library-andy',
'virtual-library-fred' into the directory to add the music in that
directory to a library of that name. Then the user would just need to
give the server a list of library names to look for.

Maybe it could eventually be extended to handle amalgamated libraries,
something like 'andy and not audiobook', that sort of thing...

Anyway, hopefully I've got enough to get me started.

Is there any further documentation I could read? Or should I just
barrage you with further questions? :)

Andy