bpa wrote:
> It is due to the fact that Chromecast essentally a  one tab browser
> playing HTML5 webaudio (with MSE) and webaudio can just play a HTTP
> stream.  When you change stream (i.e. a new HTTP to play another track)
> there is a gap.  The only way to avoid this would be to take all the
> tracks, render into a common format and then send them as one one stream
> - if the user pauses  samples of silence may have to be created.   An
> alternative gapless approach would be to convert all the track into DASH
> type mulitple small HTTP URLs but this would require transcoding into a
> lossy format.

Gapless is the only thing keeping from me from recommending the
Chromecast Audio to people I know as a worthwhile solution to the whole
home audio question.  In my playing with the device I couldn't even get
gapless to work with Google Music.  Spotify however will play gapless on
the CCA.  Does anyone know how they managed to get it to work?  I guess
Spotify Connect is a different sort of protocol than the usual casting
protocol?  I am not a developer, just curious why Spotify Connect will
work but nothing else.