usc95 wrote:
> Gapless is the only thing keeping from me from recommending the
> Chromecast Audio to people I know as a worthwhile solution to the whole
> home audio question.  In my playing with the device I couldn't even get
> gapless to work with Google Music.  Spotify however will play gapless on
> the CCA.  Does anyone know how they managed to get it to work?  I guess
> Spotify Connect is a different sort of protocol than the usual casting
> protocol?  I am not a developer, just curious why Spotify Connect will
> work but nothing else.

CCA uses HTML5 Webaudio which means it plays http URLs - no special
streaming protocol.  I haven't checked Spotify but the main ways gapless
on CCA (and also on browser based players)  has been working is by
sending a single format stream (i.e. all source tracks are converted
into same output format possibly with silence inserted as required)
either as a single http streaming (e.g. as MP3 or PCM) or as chunked
http as in HLS, HDS and DASH.  However due to HTML5 MSE  - chunked http
have to use lossy compression which usually means aac for audio.