PasTim wrote:
> I have tried some different settings to get tracks with very large
> comment tags (the text from a CD booklet) to play on my M1 CLiC.  Most
> HTTP modes fail immediately.  Of those that work a bit:
>
> - chunked (my normal setting) - works well except on track with large
> comment tags which usually don't play
> - full buffering - seems to work with all tracks, albeit with an initial
> delay (expected), except very large ones (eg 25 minutes) where the
> renderer seems to time out waiting for the track to start
> - fixed large size - initially works with all tracks, but before the end
> of each track it skips to the next one and sometimes gets an error on
> the renderer
>
> I also tried setting the streaming timeout to -1, no flac header,  fixed
> flac header.  None helped.
>
> So I changed back to streaming pcm as priority (ie codecs pcm, flc, mp3)
> and that works for all tracks.  I previously stopped using pcm due to
> occasional breaks in sound on high resolution (24/192) tracks.  It
> played one such album well last night, so I'll leave it at that setting
> for now.  I have recently updated the operating system on my server, and
> found ways to increase the priority of LMS/sq2u - this may have helped
> stop the breaks in sound.
>
> I have wondered if there is a way to get the flac program to remove
> comments (in custom-convert.conf) but haven't found a parameter for that
> yet.  sox may be able to do it, but I haven't investigated that yet.
>
> EDIT:  I said that the problem seemed to be the 'COMMENT' tag - it
> isn't, it's a 'LYRICS' tag.  I found a program (metaflac) that can
> delete such tags but it can't do it on the fly as far as I can tell.  I
> don't want to remove the information in the original flac (it can be
> shown on the web gui left panel), I just don't want to stream it.
I thought I should dig a little deeper.  I started deleting tags from
the flac.  Deleting LYRICS made no difference.

The fix came when I deleted the artwork.  I had assumed that wasn't the
problem because I don't send it to my renderer ("include cover art" is
no).  However it is, of course, still in the flac header, which is why
it is so big (the artwork work is around 1.1MB).  I have a tool (Bliss)
which can resize all artwork in flacs, so I'll run that soon.  I assume
other servers are either resizing or deleting the artwork from the
header before sending the flac.

LMS 7.9 on VortexBox Midi box, Xubuntu 16.04, FLACs 16->24 bit,
44.1->192kbps.
LMS plugin UPnP/DLNA Bridge to MF M1 CLiC (to A308CR amp & ESLs) &
Marantz CR603 UPnP renderers.
Alternatively Minimserver & Upplay to same & to upmpdcli/mpd PC
renderers.
Squeezelite to Meridian USB Explorer DAC to PC speakers/headphones.
Wireless Xubuntu 16.04 laptop firefox/upplay or Android 'phone with
Squeeze-Commander/BubbleUPnP controls LMS/Minimserver.
Also a Touch with EDO, plus spare, unused.