bpa wrote:
> The LMS server PC does all the work of HLS which means any delays from
> BBC will be at LMS.  The only 6 difference between Touch and Classic is
> that Classci needs transcoding from AAC to Flac.
>
> HLS packets should be arriving within 500ms so 2000ms delays is not
> great - that said I get 15000msec delay at least once per day with
> DASH.
>
> The fact that you have problem with Classic vs Touch indicate there
> maybe a second underlying issue with your setup.
>
> Either or possibly a bit of both
> (i) CPU / LMS server problem which means cannot transcode AAC to Flac in
> realtime.
> (ii) Network problems which cannot handle multiple Flac streams
> (especially if synced).
>
> Please clarify whether the rebuffering is happening when one and only
> one Classic player is playing or it only occurs when you have mulitple
> players playting (not necessarily same stream)  which may or may not be
> synced.

Yeah, I was beginning to suspect a CPU / network bottleneck - to answer
the specific point, it happens when one and only one Classic is
playing.

I do normally have some other applications running on the Windows Server
box (mainly IP camera recording) so I shut them down so the only thing
running is LMS - it's a quad core AMD Phenom (2.2Ghz) with 4GB of RAM,
CPU load is around 2-10% and total RAM usage is around 60%, with LMS
taking 160Mb, so hardly touching the sides of the server. Yet the
re-buffering problem still occurs in the first few minutes of connecting
to a BBC stream.

I have another server in the house - an old WHS box - when I get time
I'll set up another instance of LMS on it and see if the BBC streams
work any differently on it. Anything else spring to mind?

Thanks again - Jerry