Jerry1964 wrote:
> Guys - many thanks for the ideas, I know from past experience how
> irritating intermittent problems are and how tricky they can be to
> solve. I don't usually run an AV or malware program on the 2012 Server -
> I did download and run Windows Security Essentials just in case I had
> picked up something nasty but it found nothing.
>
> I've uninstalled and re-installed LMS and before doing reinstalling I
> removed all remaining folders, users prefs etc associated with LMS (and
> I ran the installed as Administrator) - the only thing I didnt do was
> try to remove anything from the registry. I've also disabled IP v6 on
> the server's network adapter. No change.
>
> I've also stopped everything else running on the server - still the same
> problem.
>
> However I have made some progress - all local music plays fine, as do
> all other radio streams that I've tried. The ONLY thing that seems to be
> a problem is "live (UK) radio" from within the BBC iPlayer app. Even the
> "RadioFeeds UK and Ireland" links work fine. For example:
>
> from Radiofeeds - http://www.radiofeeds.co.uk/bbcradio4fm.pls - works
> immediately with no buffering.
>
> from within iPlayer -
> iplayer://live?hls=http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/uk/sbr_high/ak/bbc_radio_fourfm.m3u8&icon=http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/imda/logos/radio4_logomobile1-1.png&radiovis=fm/ce1/c204/09320
> Takes about 10 seconds to get going, plays for about 5secs then
> "rebuffering" for about 10secs; then plays for 20secs or so before
> "rebuffering"; after then it plays for a while longer, sometimes with
> more rebuffering breaks then after 4-5 such events it typically settles
> down and plays fine thereafter, though sometimes after 30-60mins the
> stream will stop entirely.
>
> I've tried looking at what's active via Task Manager - given tasks
> bounce up and down in terms of CPU usage it's hard to detect a pattern
> but one thing I've noticed is that when trying to play the iPlayer links
> both faad.exe and flac.exe do quite often bounce to the top of the list,
> sometimes around the point when the rebuffering occurs (though this
> could be confirmation bias on my behalf!).
>
> Can you guys enlighten me more on what these two processes do wrt
> iPlayer links please? I've tried assigning them as "high" priority
> processes via Task Manager but it's made no difference.
>
> I can't easily use another NIC or another cable as the server isn't near
> the router (it's in the garage outside of the house!) but as the problem
> only occurs within the iPlayer live links it doesnt seem to me to likely
> that is the issue?
>
> Any ideas welcome and thanks again for the feedback.
>
> Jerry

Wasn't there an issue with HLS making loads of DNS queries that borked
some systems? I know that W2008s internal DNS server implementation can
have issues. I don't know about 2012. Are you able to use an external
DNS server and not the W2012 one? Your router address or 8.8.8.8
perhaps. What else do you use the server for?

*Vortexbox LMS 7.8 music on QNAP TS419p via NFS* iThingys/iPeng/Tablets
*Living Room* - SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 - > Celestion Ditton F20s - Zone 2 ->
Sony TA FE 320 -> Sennheiser RS 130 & B&W P7
*Office* - RPi -> Sony TA FE320 -> Celestion F10s / SB3 -> Onkyo CRN 755
-> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
*Dining Room* -> SB Boom *Kitchen* -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
*Bedroom (Bedside)* - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> AKG Headphones
*Bedroom (TV)* - Amazon Fire TV (SB Player) -> Topping TP20 ->
Wharfedale Modus Cubes