drmatt wrote:
> Ok, I didn't get your intent. More reliable clocks is a good thing. No
> point in offering a clock that's wrong, even if the data stream
> referenced is "delayed". "Live" Digital TV streams are delayed too, by
> differing amounts. I am not sure it's something worth worrying about.

Radio delayed by 10 seconds, no big deal. Radio delayed by over a minute
(I saw 68 seconds this morning), that starts to be annoyingly long.

It's my fault the BBC News channel ticker and overlay no longer has
seconds on the clock. 13ish years ago I added NTP sync to the IPTV set
top boxes I was developing code for, and added display of seconds to the
clock on the channel overlay and EPG. Kingston Communications customers
(who were using the boxes) complained the time on the boxes was wrong,
they assumed BBC News clock was bang on. I was able to show with an
atomic clock receiver that the set top boxes were to within 1 second (a
room of 20 of them all showing the same time to a tenth of a second is a
bit spooky). So the problem got bounced to the BBC who quickly concluded
with all the unknowable video encoding and decoding delays the onscreen
clock could never be bang on to the second, so they removed the seconds
from the display. The Kingston customers stopped complaining since the
video clock to one minute accuracy matched the stb clock to one second
accuracy closely enough. But with a delay over one minute even that
would have looked wrong.