Actually I got sometimes this problem but I seldom reported because
you, Armin, know it very well.
It's more common with IE but also I got it also with with firefox.
I did some test to reproduce it:
Try with version 1.9.5 to click some times on "link the current map"
after move the zone from the reference image and still "link the
current map"
1on 3 time the image refresh just after the 3rd click

I don't know if it's help but just to report it and show that all of
us are tuned on pmapper :-))

bye

luca