On Wed, 2018-12-05 at 22:43 +0100, Olivier Mascia wrote:
> Have the main contributors to the project finally made a decision
> about replacing std::auto_ptr by std::unique_ptr within PoDoFo source
> code and its public interfaces?

        Hi,
being it up to me, I'd remove the std::auto_ptr usage from the public
API completely, and use, if needed, either of them based on the
compiler being used (and what it offers) only in internal code. That
would support both old and new C++ standards.

> std::unique_ptr has been introduced in the standard by C++11, and
> std::auto_ptr has been deprecated since.
> Then came C++14 and last year C++17 removed the deprecated
> std::auto_ptr.  Projects using C++17 code need to patch PoDoFo source
> code and interfaces (by a replacing occurrences of std::auto_ptr by
> std::unique_ptr).  That is not a terrible inconvenience, I agree.

No no, either it's inconvenient for the users or for the developers of
the library, where both are bad. Patching the library code means
bundling it with the project, instead of using some precompiled
version, which is even worse in general. I mean, an option of "either
use old enough compiler, or patch and bundle the library on your own"
isn't good option.

For those looking for nitpicks, where I say "compiler" I mean either
compiler or compiler options, and/or C++ standard being
enabled/targeted by the compiler options.
        Bye,
        zyx