On Wed, Jan 23, 2019, 01:05 Matthew Brincke <ma...@mailbox.org wrote:

> the size of that member PdfVariant::m_eDataType was reduced to
> 8 bits to save RAM space because PdfVariant objects are abundant
> when using PoDoFo, not so much with the other ones you mention.
> Therefore I don't agree with your proposal. The commit of my
> change has made svn r1959 [1], btw. For the other enums this
> could be discussed further, also with the other committers.

Ok. That's not related to crashes or ABI issues but it's good point of
course. While there's a good rationale, I really miss the presence of
a comment in the header explaining why the usage of integer and
warning not to change it. If the code is strange/weird for a reason I
think that should be explained, because it can't be easily deducted
from the context.