On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 11:22:05PM -0600, Chris Fedde wrote:

> Second:  Maybe I am misreading things a bit.  It appears that the actual
> level of abstraction in this system is not much higher than exists for the
> current PoCo set of packages.  I was hoping for something much higher
> level that hides the event mapping and passing details:
>
>     package Echo;
>     use POE::Object qw( Server::TCP );
>     my @ISA = qw( POE::Object::Server::TCP );
>
>     sub       Start {
>       my $self = shift;
>       $self->Hash(_listen => SUPER->new(
>           Address => 'localhost',
>           Port    => '10101',
>       ));
>       $poe_root_object->Register($self);
>     }
>
>     sub Input {
>       my $self = shift;
>       $self->Output( $self->Data );
>     }

I prefer to have the echo code in a separate object.  Someone creating
a TCP echo server should then be able to glue together a reusable TCP
server and echo behavior with just a few lines of meta information.
Likewise, people building systems this way will create a toolbox of
reusable parts along the way.

Building systems this way will require more work initially.  The time
saved by a self-documenting description language may mitigate the
overhead of coding systems this way.  It also ensures a minimum level
of documentation in every object.

That's the plan, anyway.

-- Rocco Caputo / [EMAIL PROTECTED] / poe.perl.org / poe.sf.net