On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 11:57:26PM -0500, sungo wrote:
> On (02/04 04:14), Rocco Caputo wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the reply.  http://poe.perl.org/?POE_RFCs/Test_Reforms has
> > been harshly (and incompletely, but it's like 03:00 here) revised based

For perspective:

The goal of updating POE's test is to maximize test coverage.  This is
an offshoot of the XS project, which requires a comprehensive test suite
to verify that the plug-in XS replacements work identical to the base
modules.

POE is funky, almost self-modifying.  It adapts to both the event loop
you're using and the operating system you're running it on.  This
presents "interesting" issues, which seem best addressed by testing POE
in as many configurations as possible.

To reiterate: The goal is maximal test coverage.

Is this an unrealistic goal?

Is there a better way to achieve this goal?

Is there a better goal?

> so, we've gone from our current test suite which is not complete but
> workable to a proposed test suite which involved lots of meta tests
> being sourced and run by various environments to a dynamically generated
> (at dist time? at run time?) test suite.

I think the tests should be generated at "make test" time.  We get a
smaller distribution this way.

> how do we even begin to support such a massive framework? is there some
> kind of meta language to describe what sections of modules its built
> for? is there some kind of preprocessor?

The specific tests are hand-written, and they don't really count towards
the weird aspect of the proposed test framework.

The weird bits consist of a set of meta test files and a program that's
run before Test::Harness.  The mystery program generates a stub file for
every combination of runtime environment options.  These stubs
C<require> one meta test apiece.

Once the generation phase is done, Test::Harness executes specific and
generated tests as usual.

> this all feels really crazy to me. i prefer the last revision to this
> one. at least it didnt require massive new code (that itself will need
> tested) just to exist.

The major difference between revisions is that Sean pointed out some
test environments that I missed.  So we have a potential for many more
test files, but we also test more of POE.

--
Rocco Caputo - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://poe.perl.org/