From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> The solution for 1.3 (which will also work for 1.4) should be to set
> className="org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser" attribute in the
<xmlvalidate>
> tag within the validate-docs target, which forces xmlvalidate to use that
class
> (the default being the crimson class since ant bundles crimson at the
> moment ... tho that is about to change for ant1.5)
>
> However, doing this causes many validation errors as follows :-
>
> begin trace
> validate-docs:
> Could not resolve ( publicId: -//APACHE//DTD Cocoon Documentation Book
V1.0//EN,

====

> this then causes the build to fail at the next step with the follwoing
error

No, this is not the problem ATM.
They are warnings, because Cocoon uses a Catalog of DTDs to resolve them,
while xml.validate does not.

Let's just remove the xmlvalidate step for now.

trace=====================================================================
> making-docs:
>   Building docs, please stand by ...
>
> owdocs:
> ERROR   10184   [        ] (): Could not configure Cocoon environment
> org.xml.sax.SAXException
>         at
org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(AbstractSAXParser.j
> ava:1193)
>         at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.xml.JaxpParser.parse(JaxpParser.java:241)

>         at org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon.configure(Unknown Source)
>         at org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon.initialize(Unknown Source)
>         at org.apache.cocoon.Main.main(Unknown Source)
> FATAL_E 10184   [        ] (): Exception caught
> org.apache.avalon.framework.configuration.ConfigurationException: Error
trying t
> o load configurations
>         at org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon.configure(Unknown Source)
>         at org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon.initialize(Unknown Source)
>         at org.apache.cocoon.Main.main(Unknown Source)
> end

====

But this is strange...

Do this for me please: remove the xmlvalidate and rerun the build docs.
Then post the stacktrace if there are problems.

            - verba volant, scripta manent -