On Fri, 14 Jul 2006, Yegor Kozlov wrote:
My worry is that your plan doesn't easily allow someone to get all the
different bits of information from the first list.

Do users really need this information? When editing a PPT file you don't care if you are overriding a master style or not. I think this information is low-level and makes sense only for developers, not for end-users, if only they are familiar with PPT format.

One of the things I keep meaning to write is a PPT -> S5 converter. Knowing where the stylings come from would be very useful to me

On other template based stuff I've worked on in the past, you always end up needing to know if some styling came from the template, or from the text.

I suppose we could have:

   getTextSpecificStyles
      returns just styles for the text
      flagged as being allowed to edit
   getAllApplyingStyles
      gets the master ones, then applys the text ones on top
      flagged as being not allowed to edit
   getMasterStyles
      calls get styles on the master
      turns off the edit flag
   setTextStyles
      sets the text specific styles
      only works on edit allowed ones

Then on the master
   getMasterStyles
      returns the styles from the master
      flagged as being allowed to edit
   setMasterStyles
      sets the master styles
      only works on edit allowed ones (should always be)

Would that make sense?

Nick