Are there problems with a lot of invalid recipients, or just large numbers per
mailer envelope?

In any case, in postfix, try setting these in main.cf:

smtpd_recipient_limit=512  (max. number per envelope)
smtpd_junk_command_limit=1000 (lets real addresses in envelopes get delivered
to,
   while weeding out the bad ones).

This latter one got me for a long time, because we got a lot of email to old
lists, so some users still existed on the system and some did not.  Let me know
if that helps!

Cheers,
--Tobias