From: Xavier Beaudouin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - 2007-08-06 14:31
 > > The approach that should be taken is:
 > >
 > > 1) Set up master -> slave replication
 > > 2) Change policyd so that all READS happen from the slave(s)
 > > and WRITES only go to the master.

I agree to the idee that replication should not happen in policyd, but
in MySQL, cause MySQL already supports replication and redundancy. And
it works nearly like a charm. But here is the problem :
policyd doesn't use an AUTO_INCREMENT id in its primary keys (in
"triplet" table mostly), so if two mail servers receive the same mail in
the same time (between the time at which policyd checks in the entry
already exists and the time at which it inserts a new one), the first
server will insert the new entry, and the second server won't be able to
insert it (primary key constraint violation) so the replication will stop.

 > I personnaly like this since I have already replicated system like
 > that with severals slaves... and a loadbalancer have lb read slaves.

I set up 3 mail servers (MX) with policyd and MySQL multi-master chain
replication (each node is slave of the previous one and master of the
next one).
I think a solution would be to insert "IF EXIST" in DELETE and UPDATE
queries, and "IF NOT EXIST" in INSERT queries of policyd (greylist.c
source file), so that the same query could be executed two times without
stopping replication. What do you think of this solution ? Could it be
done upstream, to make policyd a perfect greylisting daemon for mail
server clusters ?

I can provide technical details and documentation on my setup if necessary.

Sincerely,
Olivier

--
Olivier Smedts