Okay, I'll think about stepping forward to take care of polipo. :)

In the meantime, can you please clarify a point (as asked below your
e-mail) and try some tests?

>On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 10:34:45 -0500
>Stefan Monnier <monn...@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>
> I've been using polipo for many years, but recently noticed that its
> cache was empty (as in literally so: the /var/cache/polipo directory
> is clean as a whistle).
>
>     # grep '^[^#]' /etc/polipo/config
>     localDocumentRoot=""
>     proxyAddress=0.0.0.0
>     proxyName=myproxy
>     censorReferer=maybe
>     relaxTransparency=maybe
>     diskCacheRoot=/var/cache/polipo
>     maxDiskCacheEntrySize=-1
>     diskCacheUnlinkTime=10000000
>     diskCacheTruncateTime=10000000
>     dnsUseGethostbyname = yes
>     #
>
> When I start polipo by hand it just tells me:
>
>     Established listening socket on port 8123.
>
> There's nothing unusual in the log file either.  I tried to change
> diskCacheRoot to a dummy location that doesn't exist, and it did give
> me an error, so it seems it does pay attention to diskCacheRoot.
>
> I temporarily set disableIndex and disableDirectoryList to false but
> proxy:8123/polipo/index shows me an empty page (save for the title),
> while proxy:8123/polipo/index does correctly how me the servers
> I've contacted.
>
> This is on a Debian testing machine.  dpkg tells me:
>
>    ii  polipo         1.1.1-5      armhf        lightweight, caching
> web proxy
>
> I suspect that this has been going on for a few months now (probably
> ever since I moved my proxy to this new machine, since I'd otherwise
> expect the disk cache to still hold some left over).
>

>         Stefan
>

> PS: Here's a sample output, while running as root that time (usually
> it runs as user "proxy")
>
> # /usr/bin/polipo daemonise=false logSyslog=false logFile=
> logLevel=0xff disableIndexing=false disableServersList=false
> Established listening socket on port 8123. tunnel us08.zopim.com:443
> allowed Vary header present (Accept-Encoding).
> Vary header present (Accept-Encoding).
> Superseding object http://server:8123/polipo/servers (200 688 -1
> (none) -> 200 -1 -1 (none)) Superseding object
> http://server:8123/polipo/index (200 216 -1 (none) -> 200 -1 -1
> (none)) Superseding object http://server:8123/polipo/servers (200
> 1182 -1 (none) -> 200 -1 -1 (none)) Superseding object
> http://server:8123/polipo/index (200 216 -1 (none) -> 200 -1 -1
> (none)) Superseding object http://server:8123/polipo/index (200 216
> -1 (none) -> 200 -1 -1 (none)) Vary header present (Accept-Encoding).

If you run polipo as root, and use it as a proxy, it doesn't fill the
cache directory, correct?

As for the tests, please don't spur me for asking the most base
questions first (like if you're using the correct proxy). It's
important that we nail down all the loose variables so we can
really focus on the problem. :)

Now, the tests. Two come to mind: first, make sure you are absolutely
using the correct proxy. (Details below.) Second, try removing
'diskCacheRoot' from the configuration and try again.

I'd also ask if you set your permissions straight, but you say you are
using polipo as root. On that note, where is /var/polipo/cache ? In the
sense, on what device? How is the filesystem mounted? Is it maybe
mounted "read-only"? (Test by doing `mount' in the terminal.)

Test the cache using the following protocol:
1. kill polipo, start polipo
2. in a shell, perform:
`http_proxy=http://your-polipo-ip:your-polipo-port/ wget
http://www.atmel.com/` Post the output here.
3. kill polipo again
4. inspect /var/cache/polipo

BTW, is this an ARM machine?

- --
Svi moji e-mailovi su kriptografski potpisani. Proverite ih.
All of my e-mails are cryptographically signed. Verify them.
- --
You don't need an AI for a robot uprising.
Humans will do just fine.