> Could you please try

>   strace -o foo ./polipo

> Polipo doesn't write out until it runs out of memory, so you should see
> a flurry of writes when you kill the Polipo process.

I put up the result up on
http://faina.iro.umontreal.ca/monnier/polipo.strace (used the above
command, then ran "aptitude upgrade" and then hit C-c to stop that
process).  This was with localDocumentRoot="" in the config.

The /var/cache/polipo directory was not empty when I started this
command and should have held most of the fetched pages already (since
I've done another "aptitude upgrade" recently after dropping
localDocumentRoot="" from my config).

    % grep /cache /tmp/monnier/polipo.strace
    stat64("/var/cache/polipo/", {st_mode=S_IFDIR|0750, st_size=36864, ...}) = 0
    %

seems to indicate that /var/cache/polipo was left completely unused.

        Stefan