I've been using Polipo for a long time, and I seemed to be having this
problem too.  I run as a user, not root, but I ran the tests below and
didn't get anything in my cache directory, at first.

I use the version from Github, which I compile myself.  So I downloaded
the latest version, recompiled, and tried again.  Lo and behold,
"www.atmel.com" appeared in my cache directory.  So I think something
was wrong at some point, but it appears to be fixed now.

Ken